Guardiola

Everything football related in here please.

Re: Guardiola

Postby Mr-Ed » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:07 pm

Pep is a formula one racing driver. Give him the best car (players) and he'll do well. Sadly the PL is Rally driving and you need to be able to deal with incidents and be pragmatic to win it.
Pep hasn't a clue what pragmatism is and on last season's evidence, he (suprisingly) couldn't make a substitution to save his life either.
We can only have a chance if Txiki gets the best players in. Even then, I don't think we will win the league.as Conte is pragmatic and can do better with the best players. So for me, Chelsea will win the league again.
Manchester City - Ruining Football since 2008
Its always 11:11
Mr-Ed
Site Admin

Postby Old_Blue » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:46 am

Guardiola talk on the Man City web site.

Boss Pep Guardiola declared Manchester City are remoulding the squad for sustained success over the coming years ahead of the Club's latest US tour game.

City face Real Madrid at the Coliseum in Los Angeles on Wednesday night having added two new players since the game against United in Houston.

One of those players - Benjamin Mendy (23) - will miss out with a slight injury but Danilo (26) should be available for selection.

And with goalkeeper Ederson (23) and Bernardo Silva (22) already brought in this summer, the age profile of the squad is dropping significantly.

Guardiola said: "We haven't changed too much about our approach to this season. Of course we are judged in terms of titles, but we did do good things last year.

Man City v LA: Talking Points

BLUE MENDY: Benjamin Mendy has signed for City from Monaco
Features
BENJAMIN MENDY: TIMELINE
2 Days
View original post

"We've changed players because the squad was getting older. We changed not just for the short term but for the next four, five, six years."

On Mendy, Guardiola said: "Mendy is a physically strong player, can attack, young… and a fun guy, we’re so satisfied he decided to join us."

Danilo's versatility, meanwhile, was clearly a factor in the move for him, with Guardiola adding: "He can play right full back, and of course left and even can play in midfield. He can play in several positions - he's a player with potential and I’m grateful he’s here with us."
Old_Blue
Paul Dickov Style Legend

Postby Old_Blue » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:49 pm

Pep said after the game today that we have to do better in attack, he wasn't happy with the pace we played at, nothing he can do from the dugout, but he also says it was only the first game therefore he his happy overall, many fans will be thinking we should score 5 or 6 against them, if only it was that easy.
Old_Blue
Paul Dickov Style Legend

Postby Mr-Ed » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:45 am

Thought his subs were poor today. Not the fact that he made them but they should have been made 10 mins before they were made.
Playing 3 at the back although a good move to start with against bus parkers needs to have the central defender pushing up more and that needs to be Stones rather than Vincent and as the opposition tire it needs to be reduced to two to give us more overloads higher up the field.
Mr-Ed
Site Admin

Postby Old_Blue » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:52 am

Mr-Ed wrote:Thought his subs were poor today. Not the fact that he made them but they should have been made 10 mins before they were made.
Playing 3 at the back although a good move to start with against bus parkers needs to have the central defender pushing up more and that needs to be Stones rather than Vincent and as the opposition tire it needs to be reduced to two to give us more overloads higher up the field.

It is a long season and i am sure the team will have many changes, Sane, Sterling B Silva Yaya, Foden, Mendy, all of these will play games this season and other like Nasri [ if he stays ] Roberts also Bravo, Sancho again if he stays, Diaz and we still have others, now Nasri, Sancho, Roberts, may not be here by the end of this transfer window but if they are we can use them, Pep as a big squad and he will have to handle their ego as best as he can.
Old_Blue
Paul Dickov Style Legend

Postby Mr-Ed » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:40 am

Thats the point - the squad has improved and non-starters need to be given more time on the pitch. Pep waits an awful long time to make subs that people in the stands can see are necessary.
Mr-Ed
Site Admin

Postby Old_Blue » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:32 am

Mr-Ed wrote:Thats the point - the squad has improved and non-starters need to be given more time on the pitch. Pep waits an awful long time to make subs that people in the stands can see are necessary.

The one thing that i was not all that happy with was Passing and movement around the box, it was pedestrian at best and i can't see Pep not making changes if it doesn't improve, as for his subs that doesn't bother me all that much, as long as when they come on the way we play changes and makes a difference, but saying that yesterday i was a bit disappointed that with Brighton playing 11 at the back we still had three at the back without our fullbacks, Otamendi could have been replaces by Sane in the first half as we didn't need three at the back, but it could also have been a trial to see how it works in a proper game with the new players, with Sane out left Danilo could have then played fullback not left wing as he was most of the game, i think even Pep doesn't know just yet what his new players can do in certain positions, and this time of the season is as good as any to take a look at it, the first 7,8,9 or 10 games will tell him what works against teams who play more defensive, and those that come to win against us by coming to attack us.

As last season Pep won't change his philosophy on the way he wants us to play, he has said before us having the ball keeps the other team from scoring, he likes his teams to dictate the game and yes it looks slow at times, but if we play like Barcelona and thats what he wants, then by keeping the ball and moving the other team around space in their defence will come, i do watch the games and think get it forward quicker but i am of an age where that was the way we played under Mercer, Bond, and Horton, but in todays game possession of the ball is what managers want, Barcelona played a slow slow quick quick slow game under Pep, they just past it around slowly until a opening appeared then they quickened up, they also scored plenty of goals playing that way both in Spain and in Europe, we have to get used to this style of play for City because when we do it properly it is a joy to watch.
Old_Blue
Paul Dickov Style Legend

Previous

Return to MCFC Forum