VAR

Everything football related in here please.

VAR

Postby Old_Blue » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:18 pm

Sorry to say but this VAR is ruining football, WHU have been crap tonight but they scored a goal in injury time to level their game, and VAR took it away for handball in the build up, two players one from each side challenging for the ball, and the defender heads it against the other players arm, he then goes past another player and plays in his teams player who scores, and VAR says it is handball, is it any wonder football is no longer a game i watch from the off, the more i see this the less for me it is handball, handball was once when you deliberately handball the ball, football is slowly becoming a game i want less to do with, it is no longer a game between two teams and a ref and two linesmen, now it's a game that looks bent with these stupid decisions, and unless the league either do away with VAR, or the laws are changed to how the game was once played, where handball is when that player uses his hands on purpose to make contact with the ball, yes a ref might miss it in the game, but more often than not the ref got it right, now we have some bozo making these stupid decision that can send a team down or lose a manager his job, this is not the football i was brought up on and one i will no longer bother watching, if it stays like it is now.
Old_Blue
Paul Dickov Style Legend

Re: VAR

Postby Mr-Ed » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:25 am

Not VAR in this particular instance but the new handball rule where their doesn't have to be intent if an attacking player touches the ball with their arm, it's handball.
I understand the bit about scoring with your arm but tge rest? Give me a break.
VAR is shit though.
Manchester City - Ruining Football since 2008
Its always 11:11
Mr-Ed
Site Admin

Postby Old_Blue » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:22 pm

Mr-Ed wrote:Not VAR in this particular instance but the new handball rule where their doesn't have to be intent if an attacking player touches the ball with their arm, it's handball.
VAR is shit though.

They use a form of VAR in American football, but they use it far better than we do, if a ref gives a decision it can only be overturned if it is clear he got it wrong, if there is any doubt about the play they go with the infield ref, our VAR thinks it is it that refs the game and that is where it makes it's mistake, VAR should only be looked at if the ref as any concerns about his decision, but that means the on field ref as to be honest and not think he never makes a wrong decision, the law of the game should be offside is when a player is clearly in front of the defenders, and handball is hand to ball not ball to hand, and a clear penalty is when the attacker as his legs clearly kicked, not when he falls down in the area theatrically, the rules need to be clear and so dose VAR on what is a foul of any kind, those looking at VAR are the ones to blame.
Old_Blue
Paul Dickov Style Legend

Postby Old_Blue » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:51 pm

Mr-Ed wrote:Not VAR in this particular instance but the new handball rule where their doesn't have to be intent if an attacking player touches the ball with their arm, it's handball.
VAR is shit though.

VAR is used in American football and as been for a very long time, the on-field ref as the final say by looking at a monitor on the side of the pitch, but only after none of the officials can agree with the refs decision, he then goes to the monitor and takes a look at it, if no evidence on the screen says anything different to make the ref change his mind, then he goes with his decision, their game is a lot different from ours, but he should be the only one to decide on what happens in the game, not some unknown person watching a monitor, i think in our game against Palace the ref had a good view of the handball, and he alone should either give no handball or handball, and he gave handball so we should have had a penalty, no one on here or who i talk too will change my mind on that the on-field ref got it right first time.
Old_Blue
Paul Dickov Style Legend

Postby Mr-Ed » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:57 am

VAR as inacted in Football is a bag of shite.
It will remain a bag of shite till 19 out of 20 similar incidents result in the same decision. It should be better than 39 out of 40 but hey let's start at a basic level of competence.
As it stands it's just a way to bend the rules to suit the refereeing establishment.
Mr-Ed
Site Admin

Postby Old_Blue » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:11 am

Mr-Ed wrote:VAR as inacted in Football is a bag of shite.
It will remain a bag of shite till 19 out of 20 similar incidents result in the same decision. It should be better than 39 out of 40 but hey let's start at a basic level of competence.
As it stands it's just a way to bend the rules to suit the refereeing establishment.

VAR the way we use it is rubbish, look at the LiVARpool so called second goal, it was first and rightly so given by the on-field ref, but VAR said no it was a foul on the keeper, rubbish at no time did i see him look at the keeper only the ball, the on-field ref is the one who should ask for it, and only if he his not confidant in what decision to give, most if not all of the time a ref as got it right in the decision he gives in real time, this season we have seen decisions overruled that as changed the result of the game, in our case it may well have cost us any chance of challenging for the league this season, but spare a thought for the teams that go down, because the ref as had his decision changed from VAR, that will cost them a lot of money and maybe a good few years out of the top league, the top teams will survive a few bad decisions from VAR, but teams that are relegated may not be back for many a season, like many i don't thing we have ever needed this VAR in our game, let the on-field ref do the job he has train for, all refs make a mistake but i don't think there as been one who as made as many mistakes as the one looking at VAR as made.
Old_Blue
Paul Dickov Style Legend

Postby Blue on Blue » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:55 am

VAR Should be scrapped, we can all discuss it til were blue in the face. But when all is said and done its ruined the beautiful game.
Its also manipulated results whether thats by design or accident doesnt matter, its a shambles
Blue on Blue
Paul Dickov Style Legend

Postby Huey Blue » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:07 pm

It's also the 'clear and obvious' bit that is really making a mess of the whole thing.

At the weekend, I was watching Jeff Stelling and Co on Sky Sports (whilst I still have it) and there was a foul that should have resulted in a penalty and all the pundits agreed and it went to VAR and because it wasn't a clear and obvious error by the referee, VAR went with the original decision of the referee which was NO PENALTY.

I'm sorry, but the referee only has one angle to look at, VAR has 3 or more and if the numpty at Stockley Park can see it's a penalty, then he should advise the ref to go to the tunnel an view the monitor and give him the other angles.
The on pitch referee can then make a decision, which in this case would have been a penalty.
I thought VAR was introduced the help the on pitch officials, instead it is hindering them and ruining our beautiful game. ;t; ;t; ;t;
VAR = Ruining Football since 2019
Huey Blue
Shaun Goater MBE

Postby Mr-Ed » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:09 pm

Clear and obvious errors for penalties in VAR only get overturned if it benefits our opponents!
Mr-Ed
Site Admin

Postby Old_Blue » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:24 pm

Huey Blue wrote:It's also the 'clear and obvious' bit that is really making a mess of the whole thing.

At the weekend, I was watching Jeff Stelling and Co on Sky Sports (whilst I still have it) and there was a foul that should have resulted in a penalty and all the pundits agreed and it went to VAR and because it wasn't a clear and obvious error by the referee, VAR went with the original decision of the referee which was NO PENALTY.

I'm sorry, but the referee only has one angle to look at, VAR has 3 or more and if the numpty at Stockley Park can see it's a penalty, then he should advise the ref to go to the tunnel an view the monitor and give him the other angles.
The on pitch referee can then make a decision, which in this case would have been a penalty.
I thought VAR was introduced the help the on pitch officials, instead it is hindering them and ruining our beautiful game. ;t; ;t; ;t;

My thinking on VAR and the on-field ref is VAR should only come into it when the ref asks for it, refs have done this job or refereeing the game for over a hundred years without VAR interfering, now VAR makes one or more decisions in every game, and it takes between 2 and 5 minutes to make that decision, if it is clear that the on-field got it wrong then it shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to 1 minute, it won't be long before fans turn there backs on the game, this season i have not watched one game live, or any game live on TV, because i think only the on-field ref and his linesmen should be the only ones to ref the game, a ref might not send a player off when he should for a bad tackle, he might give or not give a pen when he should, all of that depends on his view of the incident at that time, now with VAR overruling him on the big decisions refs will soon either not be needed or they will do nothing knowing VAR will do their job for them, and how many of us or ex players think this VAR is making the game better to watch, very few i would say, it takes to long over a decision, and it doesn't give the same decision for the same incident in different games, if that was a ref we could take it, but it isn't it is a video viewed from different angels by a so call top official who is making the game easier to understand, var is causing more arguments than it was put in for, i agree with you Huey Blue it is ruining our game.

One more thing on the pen no pen against Palace, if it had been one of our strikers who the ball hit on his leg, then went on to hit his arm or hand, and then another City player put the ball in the Palace net would that have been a goal for us, if it was not handball against the defender it couldn't have been handball against the attacker, i think it would have been given as handball against the attacker, so we then would have two rules for the same incident, that to me makes the rules look just a bit stupid.
Old_Blue
Paul Dickov Style Legend

Next

Return to MCFC Forum