Blog Entries

Match Report and Ratings

Postby Mr-Ed » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Snow makes a right mess of your hairstyle and even a good coat and so Mancini started the game in a Waterproof and City baseball cap - though the scarf was still clearly visible.

Not the most impressive of games. We often failed to keep possession (unlike Wolves), lumped far too many balls up field and gave far too many free kicks away in our own half. That said, you can only beat the opposition in front of you, and that we did.

We started 4-5-1 and Zabelta has a chance early doors but from that point on we were very sloppy. There was too much pressure on DeJong and as a result we couldn't pass forwards and often ended up hoofing the ball up field. Boro’s wide players including the lively Johnson were looking dangerous for Boro on the flanks and Sylinho was caught out for pace on 3 occasions and Richards once but the zonal marking did it's job and defenders quickly funnelled back into specific positions so that crosses were easily cleared.

On the half hour, queue tactical change number one when Wiess and Petrov moved inside to give City a very narrow midfield. This worked a treat as it lessened the pressure on DeJong and as a result we bossed possession and didn't give them a sniff for the rest of the half. This was also helped by Boro's only real Danger, Johnson, going off with an injury. As a result no one could get wide, get behind the full backs and turn the City defence. As a result City started to put some pressure on the Boro back line and runners started to get into the Boro box. Petrov exploited this very well and had two excellent moments: The first when he shot just past the post and the second when he put in an inch perfect pass to split the defence for Benjani to score just before half time. Good job Banjanni scored because frankly he was poor the rest of the half,

Half time: Boro 0 - City 1

Richards and DeJong wer replaced by Tevez and Barry at the interval and Zab went to right back and Tevez went up front with City going 4-4-2. City were much more fluid for 20 minutes with some excellent passing moves. That said - the final ball wasn't quiet there. I’m not sure what Benjani was doing but Tevez was pretty dammed good with some excellent support from Petrov.

It didn't quite work out for us defending though. Barry is not as good at this as DeJong so Boro got a lot of possession just inside our half and started lobbing artillery shells into our box. Boyata and Kompany withstood the onslaught really well and the one time Boro passed through our midfield, Kompany made an outstanding tackle to stop Boro breaking through.

Bellers came on for the last 20 and as a result the fluidity of our attacking moves improved – especially those on the counter attack. It must be said though that Tevez and Bellers should both have scored to put the game beyond reach. But they didn't and at the same time Barry, Garrido, Zabaletta and Slyvinho were giving too many free kicks away just inside our half as Boro started to throw the Kitchen sink at us. The game was certainly not won and in one amazing moment Kompany somehow managed to make an amazing headed clearance from a whipped in free kick. That said for all Boro’s huffing and puffing they managed ZERO on target chances in the entire game. That says it all about Mancini's managerial ability to me. Even though there were average players in many positions today, the organisation was superb and the tactical changes stopped Boro from getting the upper hand in the game.

Full Time: Boro 0 - City 1

Interestingly in the last quarter Strachan did find a way past our suffocating zonal defence by dropping Wheater deeper at Set Pieces. He won a few headers but the resulting chances from the edge of the area were blocked. If I've spotted this, then Baconface and his cohorts of darkness will have too and WILL try this tactic against us in the SF - I hope Mancini has a better solution to this problem than today because unlike Boro, Utd will punish us if we let them have the ball outside the penalty area at set pieces.

Ratings:

Given 4 - Stayed on his line too much. No shots to save mind. But what he had to do he didn't do well. He needed to dominate the box more.
Richards 5 - Not a good first half. Buck up son to the standards over the last 4 games or you will be toast. He looked like he was carrying a knock at the end of the first half.
Kompany 9 – Outstanding defensive work an passing. MOTM
Boyata 7 - Grew into the game. Defended well, but not the best at passing when we had the ball.
Sylvinho 4 - Too slow for the English game. Alan Johnson skinned him on 4 occasions.
Wiess 5 - Fluffed his big chance I'm afraid. Mind you there was little support from Benjani for the 1-2 pass. He kept the ball well mind. I expect him to get shipped out on loan to Burnley or Stoke in the near future.
DeJong 7 - Played really well. Protected the back 4 magnificently. Not enough forward passes though till he got more protection in front of him.
Garrido 6 -No great shakes but did better than OK.
Petrov 7.5 - Our best attacker. What I love about him is he can skin a defender but if it doesn't come off he doesn’t lose possession. Superb passer of the ball too.
Benjani 4 - If you remove 1 point for the goal he was pretty damn poor. Not great service mind - but he was pretty anonymous in the 2nd half.

Subs:
Barry 6 - Not as good as DeJong at defending but better at the link play attack stuff. Hence in the second half we attacked better but defended worse. Barry and DeJong do work well together though.
Tevez 7 - Continues his great form. Should have scored twice though
Bellers 6 - Doesn't seem to quite work using Bellers as a sub. Don't know why. Stopped all Boro threats from our left though. Loved the bit when he tried to trap the ball and it went under his foot and out for a Boro throw.

Mancini 8 - Not a great starting selection but he made tactical changes to do enough to score and keep Boro out of the game – while not burning out our best players for Wednesday’s game.
Manchester City - Ruining Football since 2008
Its always 11:11
Mr-Ed
Site Admin

Re: Blog Entries

Postby Blue Tones » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Thanks BA that is absolutly a fantastic read. :!7

P.s. I have published it
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans - 1980 John Lennon "Beautiful Boy"
Blue Tones
Site Admin

Postby Mr-Ed » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:36 pm

Blue Tones wrote:Thanks BA that is absolutly a fantastic read. :!7

P.s. I have published it

Can you republish - I found a few word ommisions that I have no corrected.
Manchester City - Ruining Football since 2008
Its always 11:11
Mr-Ed
Site Admin

Postby Blue Tones » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:47 pm

you have a PM BA
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans - 1980 John Lennon "Beautiful Boy"
Blue Tones
Site Admin

Postby Ricster » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:19 pm

A Final For City Could Spell The Demise Of United

City really have the world at their feet at the moment, not only are the fans slowly seeing the gulf between the 2 Manchester, sorry Greater Manchester teams closing, but City have an ideal opportunity to close it even more, if not close it all together.

SAF's United team were knocked out of the FA Cup 3rd round for the first time in his tenure as manager at the swamp. Not only did he look gutted, and did his usual blame the ref stance, the fear in that mans eyes was plain to see. He knows what coming on Wednesday 6th January and so do i.

After the shocking result of Leeds, City have a great chance to start the Old Trafford decline. If memory serves me correctly back in the late 80's early 90's little City did the same to Liverpool. We went to fortress Anfield and got a 2-2 draw and i believe that made alot of teams sit up and take note, 'If little ol' City can do it then so can we'. Liverpool were never to be the same again.

Manure have managed to scrape wins against teams that haven't lay down to them this season, but Leeds have surely dented the confidence of which was a pretty good starting line up for the Salford lot on Sunday. If we can knock them out fo the Carling Cup this Wednesday and in a fortnights time, we can claim to have got the ball rolling that lead to United's demise.

So my rally cry to the class over 2010 is this.

You have the chance to become legends of this club by going for the Old Trafford jugular. Not once but twice in a fortnight. We have waited a long time to see the emergence of heroes, we have one called Superman, how many others want to don a cape and fly this club to the top. I no longer want to hear about a Blue Moon Rising, i want to see it rise, along with you the players. You're time has come.

You're time is NOW!
Ricster

Postby Blue Tones » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:48 pm

That is great Ricster. I have published it :!7
Blue Tones
Site Admin

Postby Ricster » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:31 am

January Transfer Window

January is always a difficult month to purchase players in. I think we all learnt that lesson with the whole Kaka affair. I think we will sign a couple more players but i dont think they will be the household names that people are wanting.

You only have to look at some of Mancini's signings at Inter.

Maicon - £3.5 Monaco
Julio Cesaer - Free
Balotelli - U/K (Couldn't find the fee, but was bought as a 15yr old from a Serie C1 club)

I like what Mancio does, he looks for a player and moulds that player into what he is looking for, improving their game and usually not paying over the odds. It has to be said those 3 transfers i have highlighted have either gone on, or should go on to become world class players.

The Viera signing has given the press a little bit of ammunition over his age, not played regularly for Mourinho etc. My opinion is Mancini knows what he is getting with Paddy and will be Mancio's voice in the dressing room. Mancini isn't stupid, he knows that he needs someone who is going to fight his corner and get players onside and who better than someone he has previously worked with but also comes with an abundance of medals whether they are, PL titles, Fa Cups, Scudetto's or a world cup winners medal.

Im warming to this, and im looking forward to what other shrewd signings are heading our way.

FORZA MANCINI
Ricster

Postby Blue Tones » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:48 pm

http://www.mcfc-forum.co.uk/blog/?p=26

The prizes arrived today I will get some piccys up another time.
Blue Tones
Site Admin

Postby blue nose » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:01 am

Ricster wrote:January Transfer Window

January is always a difficult month to purchase players in. I think we all learnt that lesson with the whole Kaka affair. I think we will sign a couple more players but i dont think they will be the household names that people are wanting.

You only have to look at some of Mancini's signings at Inter.

Maicon - £3.5 Monaco
Julio Cesaer - Free
Balotelli - U/K (Couldn't find the fee, but was bought as a 15yr old from a Serie C1 club)

I like what Mancio does, he looks for a player and moulds that player into what he is looking for, improving their game and usually not paying over the odds. It has to be said those 3 transfers i have highlighted have either gone on, or should go on to become world class players.

The Viera signing has given the press a little bit of ammunition over his age, not played regularly for Mourinho etc. My opinion is Mancini knows what he is getting with Paddy and will be Mancio's voice in the dressing room. Mancini isn't stupid, he knows that he needs someone who is going to fight his corner and get players onside and who better than someone he has previously worked with but also comes with an abundance of medals whether they are, PL titles, Fa Cups, Scudetto's or a world cup winners medal.

Im warming to this, and im looking forward to what other shrewd signings are heading our way.

FORZA MANCINI

Great Post Ric and spot on with what you say mate :!4
blue nose
I love all that be Colin Bell I am MCFC-Forum Legend

Postby Blue Tones » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Blue Tones
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions and Fantasy League