Movie Thread

Everything else.

Movie Thread

Postby nimrod » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:57 am

Watched Body Of Lies last night with Russell Crowe and DiCaprio

Director Ridley Scott's genius shines through what could have been another unpalatable, trite topic of the US' relations with the Middle East and terrorism. He expertly unravels the story of CIA operative Roger Ferris (Leonardo DiCaprio) who is assigned to flush out an evasive terrorist who is blowing up public places all over the world. Ferris is increasingly frustrated with his boss Ed Hoffman (Russell Crowe)'s impatience and double dealings, which more than once puts himself in jeopardy, challenges the trust he is trying to build with Jordanian leader Hani (Mark Strong) and his budding romance with the pretty Palestinian nurse Aisha (Golshifteh Farahani).

DiCaprio just keeps getting better and better as he is now more able to lose himself in a role and successfully shed the pretty. Crowe does well in an understated but dangerously quiet role as a Washington-based puppetmaster. The versatile Italian-Austrian Andy Garcia-lookalike Strong is fantastic as the powerful Hani, while Farahani's face lights up the screen and turns in a memorable performance as well.

8/10

nimrod

Re: Official Movie Thread

Postby Phuket Blue » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:40 am

I know it's a few years old now but I saw The Truman Show for the first time today. I really didn't expect to like it at all but thought it was a quite excellent film.

Didn't like Body of Lies though but that's probably because I really don't like di Caprio at all.

There are just some actors that I cannot watch even if the film is supposedly quite good
Phuket Blue

Postby nimrod » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:18 pm

Phuket Blue wrote:I know it's a few years old now but I saw The Truman Show for the first time today. I really didn't expect to like it at all but thought it was a quite excellent film.

Didn't like Body of Lies though but that's probably because I really don't like di Caprio at all.

There are just some actors that I cannot watch even if the film is supposedly quite good

Ohhh I agree

Jim Carey, Tom Cruise, Ben Stiller put me right off.
nimrod

Postby Private Pyle » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:47 pm

I watched Gangs of New York for the first time on Christmas Day, and I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't sure I would like it coz mt wife likes it she's all arty farty - but on the whole it was good. Daniel Day Lewis also picks his scripts carefully and if he doesn't like it, it's back to being a cobbler.

I have downloaded Harry Brown to watch tonight
Private Pyle

Postby nimrod » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:40 am

Daniel Day Lewis stars in one of my favourite films.........there will be blood.

BTW I never realized Pearce Brosnan could act till I saw The Matador, nothing to do with Bulls, he plays a hitman
nimrod

Postby Ricster » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:30 pm

The Hangover

Brilliant. Its about time we, as the public, were given a good fresh comedy that you can laugh at all the way through, instead of all the Scary Movie spoof films we have been getting, and getting tired of. This is easily the best comedy since 'Something About Mary'.

The Hangover, i honestly think is the best comedy for the last few years with a blend of characters that could only be friends in America. My favourite character is the niave Al who in his own way is very funny and has been likened to myself by my mates.

These 4 friends go on a stag/bachelor party to Las Vegas 2 nights before Doug is due to get married. Doug's 3 other friends awake the next day to find their memory isn't the only thing they've lost from the night before.

As comedy's go this gets a big thumbs up from me and a 4/5
Ricster

Postby nimrod » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:11 am

I want to see it but I cant sit there for 3 bloody hours :!
nimrod

Postby blue nose » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:01 pm

nimrod wrote:Avatar

I want to see it but I cant sit there for 3 bloody hours :!

I thought it was in 3D but went to book tickets for me and her indoors and they said it wasnt ??? :!5
blue nose
I love all that be Colin Bell I am MCFC-Forum Legend

Postby blue nose » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:51 pm

just watching an old john travolta film nimmers The Punisher , got to admit hes made some good movies :!7
blue nose

Postby blue nose » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:52 pm

hey nimmers Me and my old lady are off to blacburn tomorrow night to watch AVATAR in 3d . let you know what its like mate
blue nose

Next

Return to Off Topic