Movie Thread

Everything else.

Re: Official Movie Thread

Postby Blue Tones » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:30 pm

The Time Travellers Wife

I enjoyed this movie but it was one of those movies where nothing much happens for long periods of time yet you still stay interested. This movies is ideal for those that like wierd and wonderful plots, that keep you thinking.

It is essentially about a boy who finds out he can time travel, he doesn't know how to make it happen it just happens. You see the boy turn into a man and see how his life pans out with his family. It is a clever plot and you don't always know if you are watching him in the past, present or future.

8/10
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans - 1980 John Lennon "Beautiful Boy"
Blue Tones
Site Admin

Postby Ricster » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:50 pm

SEVEN POUNDS

Starring Will Smith.

What a well put together film. About a man, Ben Thomas, who has a gift for 7 people. I figured out what was happening in the film but i can say it didn't spoil it one bit. If you liked, The Pursuit Of Happiness im pretty sure you would like this. Cant say much more on it without giving the story away.
Ricster

Postby nimrod » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:35 am

The Reader.

The Reader is a post World War 2 drama set in Germany. It involves a middle aged woman, Hanna Schmitz, played by Kate Winslet, who works for the transport company but has a dark past as an SS guard and a young boy who falls in love with her. Their meeting was per chance when young Michael Berg stumbled upon her building very sick. Hanna takes care of him and sends him home. Later after he recovers from his illness he comes to thank her, and their affair starts to blossom. Hanna, has a dark history of being a guard in concentration camps, and being involved in mass killings. She's illiterate but has a fascination for literature. She liked being read to. and she requests Michael to always read to her.
Eventually she leaves Berlin, after she gets her promotion. Years later, when Michael is in law school, he finds out about Hanna and her past, and despite knowledge which can help reduce her sentence he disclose it during the trial. Hanna gets the maximum sentence amongst the accused, and is sentenced to life imprisonment. Michael, repentant of his earlier actions, starts sending her audio tapes of books, which slowly helps Hanna, learn to read and write.

Its a gripping drama, Kate Winslet won a deserved oscar for her role....she does brilliantly to portray an immensely complex character, Hanna Schmitz.
I really enjoyed this thought provoking film, well worth seeing if you havent already.

8.5/10
nimrod

Postby Blue Tones » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:46 pm

Men Who Stare at Goats

10/10

Parts of it are sidesplittingly funny, a completely silly film but hillarious none the less. Prepare to laugh when you get to the fork in the road, you will know what I mean when you get to it.
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans - 1980 John Lennon "Beautiful Boy"
Blue Tones
Site Admin

Postby nimrod » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 pm

The Insider

Al Pacino
Russell Crowe

9/10

Michael Mann exceeds himself. He leaves behind the fast pace of his superb film Heat and shows a careful attention to detail. This film is all about reading between the lines. From beginning to end we are watching what people are not saying instead of what they are saying.

The story briefly; Sampson and Goliath but, without the frilly morality many American films cling to so slavishly. Dr Jeffrey Wigand (Crowe) is a research scientist for a large Tobacco company. He threatens the company policy of always keep the public in the dark and he is sacked for knowing too much. Wigand struggles with his conscience. Does he keep his severance package (which includes a Healthcare plan for his family. His eldest daughter, ironically is asthmatic!)and become a company stooge? Or does he stand up, in isolation to warn the country of what is kept from them?

This struggle is finally decided when he is pushed too far by anonymous threats against him and his family. He turns whistle blower, with the help of Lowell Bergman (Pacino), 60second producer who cleverly lures Wigand into the bag whilst retaining his journalistic integrity.

The crescendo of twists and turns leads us through Wigand`s angst and Bergman`s questioning of ethics. The ending is not what you may expect. There`s no parties or champagne. Instead our two leading characters come out both winners and losers.

Look out for the scene where Wigand is alone in his hotel room and Bergman tries to contact him via the hotel manager and a "cell phone". This scene is engaging and the diversity in the music used is beautiful. It captures a few seconds of true humanity.

The fact that this is based on true events adds so much punch to the film it`s easy to forget we`re being entertained. It also gives us an insight into how the whistleblowers of our age are subject to massive smear campaigns. How would our lives stand up to the scrutiny of a media microscope?

This film is a few years old now but IMO its a masterpiece.

nimrod

Postby nimrod » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:15 pm

APPALOOSA

8/10

Jeremy Irons
Renee Zellweger
Ed Harris

If you hate a good western, dont bother with this one...

Ed Harris directs, produces and co-writes APPALOOSA, a straight-forward, no punches pulled western. Marshall Virgil Cole(Harris)and Deputy Everett Hitch(Viggo Mortensen)have been saddle pals for too long to remember. The pair shoot straight, ask few questions and shrug off feelings...for feelings will get you killed.
The pair arrive in the small town of Appaloosa in dusty New Mexico and are hired to protect the town by taking it away from the ruthless and powerful rancher Randall Bragg(Jeremy Irons). Bringing new order to Appaloosa requires Virgil and Everett to take over every aspect of the town and guard against Bragg's gunmen.
A stranger arrives in town on the train; an attractive piano-playing young widow Renee Zellweger, who knows how to charm a man...usually the man in control of the current situation. Of course when Marshall Cole asks her if she is a whore...her answer is giggly and demure.
The typical and expected good versus bad western with Harris as the almost lazy hero compared to the cocky and manic Irons.

Thank you, Ed Harris!
With a laconic pace that permitted you to enjoy the details, a true western heart, a great story of male friendship, a strikingly ambivalent heroine, great photography, and remarkably good (especially on a budget) art direction, this film managed to be both familiar and fresh at the same time.

If you like a western (like me) I can recommend it..
nimrod

Postby Millie » Wed May 12, 2010 3:39 pm

Has anyone seen this/going to see it? I kind of feel funny about straight actors playing gay roles though I suppose its more about the film than the sexual orientation of the actors. It was banned in the U.S I think, but is going to be released in U.K. Any one have any opinions? I think it looks quite good - though probably wait to see it on dvd.
Millie

Postby Blue Tones » Wed May 12, 2010 3:43 pm

I haven't heard of it, although it depends on how graphic any gay scenes are as I am just not comfortable watching men kiss. If there is too much of that in it then I probably won't watch it.
Blue Tones
Site Admin

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Postby Blue Tones » Sat May 22, 2010 10:19 am

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

I was a little scepticle about this film at first but let me tell you I was amazed by the time I was finished watching it. Aside from the fact that I thought Christopher Plummer was Michael Gambon for the duration of the film everything else was brilliant. It was clear to see that they had made adjustments to the film to compensate for the loss of Heath Ledger but they did it with style.

The film is basically the classic fight between good and evil based around a passageway into an imaginary world where souls are fought for. The acting is very good throughout and it keeps your interest even though it is a rare film that is actually two hours long.

I fully recommend a watch and I give this film 10/10
Blue Tones
Site Admin

Postby Mr-Ed » Sat May 22, 2010 11:04 am

Sorry BT to disagree but, for me, the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus was total drivel and rates only 2/10 - and it only gets that for the clever way they got round Heath Ledger's suicide mid shoot. Typical for Terry Gilliam films which are either excellent or Turkeys. For me this one was a Turkey. In fact it wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if Heath Ledger didn't commit suicide becaue of it.
Manchester City - Ruining Football since 2008
Its always 11:11
Mr-Ed
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic